Wednesday, March 27, 2013

(Subbed) Downtown's Habit

Japanese has a specific term for when we shake our leg or shake our knee as we're sitting down. And it's called 貧乏揺すり- Binbou Yusuri, which roughly translates to "Poor man's shake."
Why the "poor"? There are several theories:


1) It's depicting a poor man with not enough clothing shivering in cold.

2) It's depicting loan officer's shaking legs as he's waiting to get back what he's owned from the poor.

However the term has come about, the shake has a bad rap in Japan. I remember my mom would get pissed and yell at my poor man's shake. I couldn't help it. It just happens.

Enjoy,

6 comments:

  1. That was interesting , haha. Such strange habbits lol. It did feel like Hamada wanted to pick a fight with someone with those letters, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol really funny, thanks. I really enjoy your videos and I hope to see more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you shibata !

    there aren't much gaki videos since last batsu game, it's very pleasant to see you're still subbing :)

    love all your videos ! keep up the good work =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, in the Teacher Batsu, up in the corner where you see them in the studio, Hamada put his arm up behind his head while watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've watched many, MANY 'Gaki no Tsukai' specials .. and I've never seen Matsumoto or Hamada perform those 'nervous habits'. To me they seemed staged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they do them during the little manzai dialogues they have, i haven't really seen them during the specials either.

      Delete