Thursday, January 21, 2010

(Hotel 06) Gari Gari kun

When the outside temperature clocks close to your own body temperature, there's nothing better than sucking on the popsicles to help you not melt your eyeballs. Well, that was back when I was a young boy in the 80's. Now, I just whine and complain about it in an air-conditioned room.

This particular popsicles called "Gari Gari kun" was (and still is) very popular in the 80's. This popsicle has the usual outside layer which is cold, smooth and tasty, but the nice surprise is that as you bite into it more, there's a core of slushy iced shaves inside. Very cool idea.


Sometimes, after you suck out the last moisture out of the wooden stick, you find that you get to have another one for free. It would be clearly carved out on the stick like this;

Picture this though. I'm outside (most likely front of Mom and Pop shop)with my friends eating this popsicles. When I'm done, I see that I get a free one. Cool, I immediately exchange the stick with new popsicle, show it off to my friends and devour it as if I hadn't had anything like it before. But then the nightmare sets in. I not only would get the brain freeze from eating two popsicles but I also just gave myself a colon cleanse and detoxing. Let's just say that I would spend the rest of the afternoon by myself.

One of the Gaki No Tsukai episodes had popsicle props called "Gaki Gaki Kun" which was essentially a parody of the "Gari Gari Kun." The manufacture was so thankful of Gaki crew for doing this, it is said that Matsumoto was sent box full of the popsicle thereafter.

Special thanks to Alex.


Watch No Laughing Hotel Men English Sub 06 in Comedy  |  View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com
Gaki No Tsukai - No Laughing Hotel Man

17 comments:

  1. What a place to end the video! We don't actually see what's in Hamada's drawer.

    I guess it's a push-button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the suspense is killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know seriously, way to end it >.<

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know whats in his. Ive seen the whole thing through torrent but no subs so i dont know what they say but im pretty sure i know what they were thinking. Nice series. but better with subs. Don't worry the desks are full of fun things this year

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry guys, I have to fix some error in this.
    I will upload it when it's fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But I've already watched it! How to I fix my memory!

    Thanks though, keep up the awesome work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, ShibataBread!
    Nice cliffhanger, but it's pretty obvious what's inside the drawer ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the fact that Gari Gari sent Matsumoto-san a whole box of them. What a nice thought. :] Thanx for the subs (again).

    ReplyDelete
  10. i wonder about endou's gun.... THX Shibata for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow it's amazing you managed to sub an hour of footage in around 20 days, thats real fast compared to your other projects, i'm starting to feel i prefer it like once a week lol :P joke,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the vid!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post, waiting for more

    thx for the good job

    ReplyDelete
  14. great post, waiting for more

    thx for the good job

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry guys, I have to fix some error in this.
    I will upload it when it's fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where can I get a Gari Gari kun in Racine, Wisconsin, USA?

    ReplyDelete